Home Calaware Community Forum General Discussion Recommend Lawyer for FOIA

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Terry Francke, General Counsel 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Author

Steve

While I feel empowered by my new copy of The CalAware Guide to Public Records, I still feel I might like someone to represent me in extracting some information from my city. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I just feel a request coming from a lawyer will streamline the process. And preserve my anonymity from the city. I looked at http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer/all-practice-areas and they do not list FOIA as a practice area. In principle we can start by crafting the request and filing it. A lawyer would probably better handle any negotiation over the information. If further needed, they could credibly use the word “lawsuit” with the city. If further needed, we could actually proceed with a suit, though you never know what could happen, and I would need to be prepared for the costs, an appeal, and the possibility of not only not winning and having said costs paid, but even of paying the defendants costs. How can I find someone with experience in this area. Can I hire Mr. Francke.

Steve

Specifically, my city has a ban on overnight parking. Just as an example, Fullerton http://fullertonparking.blogspot.com/ They do let you buy a few permits. So what I want is the address of every ticket they issued last year. And of every house that bought permits. I guess they could redact the name of the individual if they insist.

I understand from The CalAware Guide to Public Records that I don’t have to give a reason. But entre nous, the idea is to market my campaign to get rid of the overnight parking permits. This should make a fairly ideal list of people sick and tired of this antiquated law. Also, to make a map of its uneven enforcement.

I think you have a strong case here for both requests. If you were seeking the addresses of those arrested for an offense, the Public Records Act makes that information confidential. But those cited for parking violations should be available.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.